- There are more women employed by the sex industry than any other time in history.
- There are more strip clubs in the United States than any other nation in the world.
- Hollywood releases 11,000 adult movies per year – more than 20 times the mainstream movie production.
- At 13.3 billion, the 2006 revenues of the sex and porn industry in the U.S. are bigger than the NFL, NBA and Major League Baseball combined.
- Worldwide sex industry sales for 2006 are reported to be $97 billion. To put this in perspective, Microsoft, who sells the operating system used on most of the computers in the world (in addition to other software) reported sales of 44.8 billion in 2006 .
- Every second – $3,075.64 is being spent on pornography.
- The porn industry employs an excess of 12,000 people in California. In California alone the porn industry pays over $36 million in taxes every year.
- Human trafficking is the second largest global organized crime today, generating approximately 31.6 billion USD each year. Specifically, trafficking for sexual exploitation generates 27.8 billion USD per year.
- There 1.39 million victims of commercial sexual servitude worldwide.
The Effect on Women
Research related to women working in various aspect of the sex industry is telling. Such research indicates that women working in the sex industry are faced with higher rates of:
- drug addictions,
- sexually transmitted diseases,
- violent assaults, and
- mental health problems such as Depression and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder than the general population.
Women in the sex industry experience Post Traumatic Stress Disorder at rates equivalent to veterans of combat war.
DIAGNOSIS OF PTSD PER COUNTRY OF PROSTITUTED RESPONDENTS:
**Diagnosis of PTSD for US combat war veterans: 69%
Between 66% and 90% of women in the sex industry were sexually abused as children.
70% of interviewees in a study by Silbert and Pines noted that childhood sexual abuse had an influence on their entry into prostitution!
89% of women in the sex industry said they wanted to escape, but had no other means for survival.
73% of women in prostitution have been raped more than five times.
70% of females who are trafficked are trafficked into the commercial sex industry (This includes Porn, Strip Clubs, and massage parlors in the US.)
Women in the sex industry face a myriad of issues that impact their physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being. Many feel desperately isolated and alone. Because their hurts and needs are multi-faceted, the approach to assisting them in the recovery process needs to be holistic as well.
- 47% of families say pornography is a “problem” in their home.
- Excessive interest in online porn contributed to more than ½ of all divorce cases in 2002 according to attorneys who attended conference for American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- 41 percent of surveyed adults admitted they felt less attractive due to their partner’s pornography use.
- 77% of online visitors to adult content sites are male. Their average age is 41 and they have an annual income of $60,000. 46% are married.
VIOLENCE AND AGGRESSION AGAINST WOMEN IN PORN
A content analysis of the 50 best-selling adult videos revealed that across all scenes:
- 3,376 verbal and/or physically aggressive acts were observed.
- On average, scenes had 11.52 acts of either verbal of physical aggression, ranging from none to 128.
- 48 percent of the 304 scenes analyzed contained verbal aggression, while more than 88 percent showed physical aggression.
- 72 percent of aggressive acts were perpetrated by men.
- 94 percent of aggressive acts were committed against women.